Saturday, March 04, 2006

proof that I actually started Crichton.

IF YOU'RE USING BLOGLINES: This post isn't showing up right. Look at my actual journal if you'd like a less confusing version of it. Sorry! I don't know what's going on with it.

A snow day on Thursday meant that I got to spend some quality time with the Crichton cardigan. So far I really like the colors that I chose. I think the knitting itself is looking okay, but I'm scared to say anything. I don't really know all that much about fairisle knitting or what it's "supposed" to look like, so for all I know my technique is awful. I would appreciate any criticism.

On the top is my first attempt at the border. The orange yarn on top of it will be added later in the project. This attempt has since been filed away so that I can cannibalize the yarn in it later. The picture in the middle shows my current attempt. I think it's coming out pretty well. (By the way, forgive me now for the quality pictures of my hand. These needles absolutely will not go straight, and there's no other way to take a picture that shows the patterning.)

On the bottom there's a picture of the whole thing. Yay! The chart I'm working on now is pretty complicated. It's exciting to watch the progress as I knit it. I'm glad I picked some warm tones, because working on this part with just the cream, periwinkle and gray is just a little bit too dull.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Hege said...

Hah, I was just about to write you when I saw your comment! I was trying to get my pictures of my dogs up for you before I wrote, and then spent all day messing with the pictures. My blogging is taking away time from my knitting :)

I think your fairisle project is looking beautiful. Your technique looks perfect to me. Make sure you don't tighten the float on the back, but keep them loose. As long as your floats are loose enough you can maintain elasticity. If you make your floats too short then the pattern will alternately bunch up for one color and get stretched too tautly for the other color. I think you were doing this in the first picture you show, the one you rejected.

What I do is kind of stretch out the stitches of the main color that are on the needle while laying the second color behind, so that the float will be at maximum length. It's actually better if they are too loose than if they are too tight. Please let me know if this doesn't make sense, sometimes I am not so good at explaining these kinds of things...

Is this really your first fairisle project? It looks great. I haven't seen a picture of the Crichton cardigan, but the colors you are using are beautiful. Nice work!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Hege said...

Thanks for your comment on my doggies! I agree with you, Pip looks like she has a little beagle face, it was kind of surprising to me at first... Your Lucky also had a hard time, and like Gracie he will be brave one day with all your tlc.

I hope I didn't give you more critique/"help" than you wanted on your project. You probably knew all those things already, sometimes I can go on and on :) Your work looks beautiful, and I am looking forward to seeing the finished cardigan!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home