Tuesday, January 15, 2008

beginning

My goal for 2008 is to clear out all of the yarn I have hibernating in my home. Old houses may have their charms, but closet space is definitely not one of them. My two small closets are already full of clothes and linens - yarn just doesn't have a place in them.


This means that I finally had the incentive to start another cardigan from Poetry in Stitches. I had bought the laceweight yarn from Morehouse Farms just before they closed their store, Sheep's Clothing. That happened a few months ago - that probably doesn't seem long to most of you, but when you have a line of bags full of yarn marching out of your bedroom closet, it seems like forever.

I worked for three days on this cardigan and only barely have six inches to show for it. I've just completed the decreasing for the waist shaping that I decided to do, and after working a few inches straight I'll start to increase back up. There are just under 400 stitches to do for every round - not quite a quick knit. Once I reach the underarms I'll start the sleeves, and then work a seamless set-in sleeve a la Elizabeth Zimmermann.

Another shot of those poor socks that are doomed to be photographed in bad lighting until the end of time, it seems. At least they keep my feet warm...

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Mmmmmm, love that colorwork.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that book Poetry in Stitches, and whenever you start knitting on one of the patterns in the book, I always feel an urge to start knitting one of the patterns in the book myself.

I'm really looking forward to se it finished

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a clever idea, to knit that sweater in just two colors! The effect is stunning. I love it. :-)

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is just gorgeous!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Kris B said...

Your cardigan is looking awesome.

As for the sock picture I think the way the lighting hits it makes the texture show up more. They do look nice and warm.

5:48 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

all those bloody stiches and the lace weight yarn is why the finished knit is so gorgeous. I know I don't have to remind you of it.

I am not intimidated by much, but the gauge of the Poetry in Stitches sweaters scares me. I hope to do one someday. In the meantime, I admire folks like you who knit six inches in 3 days. I'm sure that would take me as many months.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home