Wednesday, March 08, 2006

crichton, new yarn.

This is Crichton so far.
So close to one repeat, but my hands started hurting last night and I had to stop with only 2 rounds to go. I'm actually not very happy with it. (I just realized now that it's folded a little strangely, I swear it's symmetrical. It's hard to make it stay flat for a minute to take a picture.) I'm scared it might be ugly - I don't usually wear so many colors at once. My roommates and I had a conference and they both think that it's fine, and one told me that she'd wear it if I don't want to. I'm not allowed to rip it out. The exact words were actually, "If you rip it out, we rip off your neck". So I guess it stays. I'm a little happier with it now that I'm looking at it in the picture. Maybe we've just spent too much time up close and personal.
And a huge "thank you" goes to Hege, who left advice for me in my last post. I found it very helpful to stretch the stitches on the right needle while pulling the new color over. It is already so much more even looking. I think the beginning parts will block out okay, and with my new technique it should be at least technically beautiful, even if the colors are a bit much. (And I have to admit that now I'm actually having fun, and am already picking out my next project from the book.)
I didn't do much knitting today, but I did stop at a local yarn store, which is sadly closing in a few days. I'd already gone a few weeks ago and got enough Cascade in a natural white for a sweater, at 25% off. I tried my luck today and came out with masses of angora, all at half price. I got blue and tan in a brand called Yum Yum - 50% angora, 25% lambswool, 15% acrylic and 10% nylon. I'm thinking about a pattern for a lightweight sweater. I have my heart set on the brioche stitch, but we'll see if it actually looks good when I swatch. I also got a few skeins of something called "Au Bouton D'or Angora" (roughly "a bit of gold", if my French isn't too rusty). It's a pretty soft gray with, well, a bit of gold woven through it. I think it will become a scarf, or maybe just ornamental on something else. It says 70% angora, but mysteriously leaves out the other 30%. I have been thinking horrible things about what it may be. Blogger refuses to show you the picture. I'll take one another day so you can see how pretty it is.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger hege said...

Becki, your cardigan looks beautiful! I love all the colors. It's going to be really great on. Sorry your hands are hurting :(

3:01 AM  
Blogger Canary said...

Looks gorgeous. Stick it out, the number of colors could grow on you.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing a great job on that. BTW, are you familiar with this blog: Knitting in Color. Lots of helpful tips there.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous mandy said...

Looks fabu, darlin!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jessimuhka said...

I like the colors, it's very cheery, like you could never be sad wearing it.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous AnneB said...

Nice bright colors that go together well. Please don't rip it!

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home