Tuesday, October 31, 2006

everything's better in fair isle

My new Nikon likes to photograph fair isle much better than my dumpy old Canon, who nastily broke on me about a month ago. This pattern is from Nancy Bush's book on folk socks. I hate the sock in the photo in the book, but after seeing a number of versions that I liked online, I tried my own with bits of leftover Crichton wool. I like it a lot, but I still don't like the book's photo. I think it might be the drastic look of the very black and very white leg, with the random bright red stars on top. I like fair isle colors to relate a little more to each other. I also changed the heel from the checkered pattern to a speckled one. I have about an inch of the second sock on the needles right now.


This sock's made out of leftover Crichton, too. It's incredible how much better it looks after it's been blocked. The tiny wool scraps made so many lumps out of the fabric before it was washed. It is still a little lumpy, but nothing I can't live with. The colors are so bright that I will probably only be wearing this pair as snow socks, anyway. I have about 3/4 of its mate done, and would have finished it last night if I had not been insane and mis-read the same instructions a grand total of THREE times. Heaven knows what goes on inside of my small brain.

And lastly, a lumpy 8.5 inches of Snow Sky. It plods along.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Hege said...

I love both your stockings, you picked really pretty colors. They will keep you really warm under your jeans. I love wearing knee highs in the winter (hate that draft around the ankles:) I really like the speckled pattern, I bet that will make the heel more durable!
Your sweater is going to beautiful as well. Your fair isle technique is looking excellent!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you do the most beautiful work!!! So far I've only managed self striping socks but I see your work and I just ache to make something like this. How inspirational!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home