Thursday, March 30, 2006

finished black stockinette sweater


The recipient was uncomfortable with being photographed, so I had to settle for an unmodeled picture. The sweater fits excellently though, I promise.

Materials: I used about 10 balls (1100 yards) of Debbie Bliss' Cathay (50% Cotton, 35% Viscose Microfibre, 15% silk) in color #12001, which as far as I can tell is just black. I knit on US3 needles, at a gauge of 6 stitches + 9 rows = 1 square inch.

Pattern: I took measurements off of a Gap men's sweater, size medium for the width of the body and length from the bottom hem to the underarms. The sweater is knitted entirely in the round in stockinette, with sewn hems at the cuffs, bottom and neck to prevent curling. I used Elizabeth Zimmerman's instructions for a set-in sleeve, found in Knitting Workshop - an infinitely valuable book if you can find a copy. I increased the body by one inch on each side before the underams, because otherwise I found that after grafting, the underarms were much too tight. I didn't like EZ's instructions to short-row shape the back for a "better shape", so after my sleeve decreases I merely bound off the shoulders and finished the neck. When I tried the short-row method, the sweater looked like it had been made for Quasimodo, and there were large holes in the shoulders, even though I used the wrapping method.

Thoughts: I love the way the sweater turned out, and definitely plan on knitting another, but I think I'll take a break before I start. That much stockinette would drive anybody crazy. The recipient is adamantly against any stitch patterning except for stockinette, but I think he could perhaps be convinced if I started a sweater in, say, a 3x1 rib and then informed him that it was for him. The Cathay is lovely to work with and I would definitely purchase more. If you're interested in trying it out, check Ebay first. I found it a little overpriced at full retail value.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duuuuuuuude. That looks really spiffing. Lucky bastid.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Hege said...

You took measurements from a gap sweater and adapted it. So you created your very own sweater design! That's excellent, congratulations!!! Great job! Cathay sounds very nice, I would like to try it.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home