Tuesday, January 16, 2007

the charm

You know what they say about the third time...

Here's Snow Sky's body, completely done. I fiddled around (a lot) with the numbers and ended up with a formula for waist shaping that, if I did it right, I'll apply to all future patterned sweaters. The middle steek that you see is for the neck - the patterning goes wonky around it because I decreased on either side of the steek for a deep V-neck. The steeks on the left and right are for the sleeves. I figured out how to accomplish a set-in sleeve, and if this goes smoothly, I'll be applying this to other patterned sweaters as well. I'm not sure if I've done something to be proud of, or if I'm just causing the original fair isle knitters a lot of grief in their graves.

Next, I'll be cutting the steeks, and then grafting the shoulders together. After that, I'll knit the sleeves and sew them in and I'll be done!

I've already decided that my next sweaters will be the Shirt-Tail Hemmed pullover in Sweaters From Camp, and probably the wedding cardigan from Poetry In Stitches. If I can apply my same formulas to these two sweaters and have the shaping come out well, I'll be writing up what I did and hopefully somebody will find it useful.

I'm not completely stuck in Scandinavian knitting, though. I have a single color project that I'll be sharing soon.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bells said...

that's absolutely beautiful! I'm so impressed. I'm new to both stranded knitting and steeking and so this is really great to see. Love the colours.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful - I've been lurking to see your progress and can't wait to see it finished!!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

I am so impressed with your shaping! That looks great! I can't wait to see it on. You should be proud, and Fair Isle knitters are NOT turning in their graves. They were all about what was useful to them, and figuring out the best way to do it. There are no rules, and you are getting so accomplished that you can make up your own shape, that's awesome!

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, gorgeous! I hope it all works out the way you've planned because it, and your other knits, look gorgeous.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sweater! Good luck with the steeks.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Anne K. said...

I'm breathless!! What a fabulous work of art in progress! (WoAIP???)Thanks for sharing!

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found you through Carrie K, and how wonderful that I did. As a purple fiend, I am head over heels for this sweater. Gorgeous work.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home