Friday, March 21, 2008

finished!


My version of the Poetry in Stitches cardigan on page 122. I made it out of Morehouse Merino laceweight (3 skeins of natural black, and 5.5 skeins of the contrast color) on size US 1 needles. I lengthened it (a lot), made it symmetrical, followed Elizabeth Zimmermann's directions for a circular set-in sleeve (found in Knitting Workshop), and after using Dawn Brocco's beautiful sewn steek, realized that hooks and eyes weren't going to work, and sewed up the steek after all.




Although it was stiff and bumpy during knitting, after washing it became soft and acquired a beautiful drape. I neglected to include the neck border chart, and instead just picked up stitches up the body and around the neck, and finished with the picot border that was done on the hems of the body and sleeves.

The inside-out view. I originally wanted the main color to be the pink, and the contrast to be the black, but couldn't stomach the idea of having dead, black plants on a sweater. At least not when it's almost Spring.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger The Digger said...

Beautiful!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Cookie said...

That is a gorgeous sweater. Well done!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is simply amazing. Beautiful, beautiful work. And a perfect fit too, it seems!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So gorgeous. I can't believe people think hand knits are frumpy, because this is anything but.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Kris B said...

Wow! Awesome sweater. I really like the picot edge border that goes around the neck I also like the pink plants instead of black :). The sweater looks great on you.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I like how you converted a cardigan back into a pullover. Beautiful work, as always. I like it paired with the skirt/tights/boots that you picked out for the body shot, too.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

It's fabulous! Lovely shape. I love the outfit you are wearing, too!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! Dead black flowers? lol. The pink flowers look ravishingly Spring like.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Marias stickning och läsning said...

Really beautiful. Much better model than the original in the book. I'm knitting the last model, the bride's cardigan from the book. The book is really wonderful.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Lucie said...

I am very impressed with your cardigan. Yours is one of the first I have seen with the set in sleeves in the round, and it looks fantastic. I want to try this technique sometime.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home