Sunday, April 09, 2006

disappointment

Guess what? I got all the way to the end of the sleeve and realized that what I'd been worrying about the entire time was true: something is very wrong. The sleeve is HUGE and does not match up at all with the directions. (I should have 70 stitches at the end, and instead I have 106.) I'm going to rip it out and try again. I'd rather fix this now than finish the sweater and have something that I'll never wear.

Oh well. I'd just run out of cream yarn, so I guess this is one way to prolong the knitting experience!

EDITED TO ADD: I've figured out the problem with the Crichton Cardigan's sleeves. The pattern instructs to cut the right armhole steek. I cut the armhole that would be the right when I was wearing it - turns out this is actually the left. I should have cut the one that is on your right when the cardigan is facing me. I hope this helps anybody else that is working on this sweater. I'm off to start again, this time reversing the decreasing instructions so that I'm decreasing away the underarm stitches, and not the sleeve stitches.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger hege said...

Bummer. It sounds like the directions are wrong, because the "right sleeve" should ordinarily be referring to the sleeve worn on the right arm of the wearer! That's too bad. Sounds like it's going really fast, though, you got the sleeve done in a just a couple of days! :)

6:21 AM  
Anonymous TJ said...

Ack! I've done that too, and after messing with the numbers for an hour to figure out which side they meant and getting it wrong. It wouldn't take very many words to say something like "starting with the right side (viewed as it's facing you)"

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home